The Environmental and Natural Resource Section’s mission is to:
- Expand section members’ legal skills, and improve their knowledge of environmental and natural resources law;
- Facilitate communication and networking among legal professionals working on environmental and natural resource issues; and
- Encourage professionalism and foster ethical lawyering.
CLE and Networking Opportunities
Each year the section organizes several events for its members to gather for educational and/or networking opportunities, including:
- Free brownbag CLEs on timely legal topics;
- Annual full-day CLE providing updates on developing areas of natural resource and environmental law, culminating with a hosted networking reception;
- Section organized field trips where members can visit and speak with other legal practitioners or industries (e.g., past opportunities include a tour of Bonneville Dam and a boat tour of the Portland Harbor Superfund Site); and
- Annual holiday gathering in conjunction with the Section’s annual meeting, elections, and award ceremony.
The Section publishes two regular newsletters:
- E-Outlook – a short bulletin distributed approximately five times per year that typically contains an article on timely judicial, statutory, or regulatory developments; and
- Case Notes – a periodical summary of recent case law addressing natural resource and environmental issues.
The Section also takes responsibility for updating the Oregon State Bar’s Environmental and Natural Resource Section DeskBook. The BarBook is available online through the OSB’s member pages, and hard copies may be purchased through the Oregon State Bar Website.